Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Last Minute Ladybug Halloween Costume

Dressing up is not my favorite thing to do, but since I work at a school sometimes I feel like I need to for the kids. I decided I would be a ladybug this year. I had seen some ideas for homemade ones and I thought with the help of my mom it would be easy. Well it was easy, quick, and it turned out super cute. It was also fairly cheap.


Here are the supplies you will need...

red t-shirt (on sale at Michael's this week for $2.50)

3 sheets of black duck tape ($1.99 each-use your 40% off coupons for as many as you can)

4 black pipe cleaners

4 medium black pom poms

scissors and a ruler

a headband

hot glue gun

#1 Antennas-I painted the headband black. Then I wound 2 pipe cleaners together and repeated with the other two. Next I glued two pom poms on either side of the end of one of the pipe cleaners, and repeated for the second. Next I wound the pipe cleaners onto the headband and stabilized with hot glue. The antennas are now done.
#2 Front of Shirt-cut 5 black circles from the duck tape sheets and stick them on in a pattern of your choice.


#3 back of shirt. Here is where my mom got creative she cut out the shapes you see so that it looked like the wings on a lady bug (a bigger section on the bottom, with a strip running up the middle). Then we added 3 black spots to each wing.

Now you are ready to fly away in your new lady bug costume. This took us literally 30 minutes and I think it is super cute.

3 comments: